Vision for Black Mountain
Our vision is that Black Mountain be recognised as an icon of biodiversity in Canberra, the ‘Bush Capital’ of Australia.
Vision for Friends of Black Mountain
Friends of Black Mountain aims to be the primary community voice for conserving and promoting the biodiversity of Black Mountain.
The Friends of Black Mountain is a non-profit voluntary organisation dedicated to conserving and promoting the biodiversity of Black Mountain. Its aims are to:
- Encourage interest in and develop knowledge and understanding of the natural, cultural, recreational, scientific, educational and aesthetic values of Black Mountain.
- Build a record of the reserve’s biodiversity and values.
- Promote its uniqueness within and beyond the ACT region.
Membership is open all people interested in the conservation and promotion of the biodiversity of Black Mountain.
The Friends of Black Mountain Coordination Group organises a range of formal and informal activities for:
- Protecting the integrity of Black Mountain and its connectivity to adjoining nature reserves.
- Preserving the Belconnen Way, Caswell Drive and Frith Street approaches to Black Mountain as the main access for recreational, educational, research and conservation activities on the Mountain and as a wildlife corridor.
- Preserving the aesthetic values of Black Mountain.
- Protecting the nature reserve for future generations of Canberrans and the nation.
- Preserving the significance and unique features of the diverse range of soil biota, geology, native flora and fauna so close to the centre of the National Capital.
- Preserving the ecotourism value of Black Mountain for Canberra.
- Preserving the living heritage value of Black Mountain.
- Providing interpretation and education about Black Mountain.
- Preserving the recreational and community values of Black Mountain.
Black Mountain is a gem of natural, cultural, recreational, scientific, educational and aesthetic value.
The Friends of Black Mountain may be contacted at PO Box 1777, Canberra City ACT 2601 or firstname.lastname@example.org